Not to worry, it may be called a 'salad' but this recipe is a dessert through and through (and I'd give it five stars!).
If you have never tried star fruit this is a good sampler recipe (star fruit closely compares to an apple in taste and texture). If star fruit doesn't leave you star struck the sauce alone is full-on, five-star deliciousness. Simply add your own fruit of choice with a dollop of vanilla ice cream!
- 1 Ripe Star Fruit
- 1 Cup of orange juice
- 1/4 Cup of brown sugar
Optional Additions: 1 Cup of good quality coconut milk, whipped or vanilla ice cream (topping), handful of pomegranate seeds or cherries (or, in my case, bananas).
Prep time: 1o minutes Cook: 15 minutes
- Put sliced star fruit on the stove in a pot and add the orange juice.
- Turn up to high heat until juice boils. Turn down to medium heat.
- Simmer until star fruit is tender. Add sugar and mix until it dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Tweak the sweetness by either adding more sugar (to please your sweet tooth) or orange juice (to tone it down).
- Portion out star fruit into bowls, add own choice of additional fruit and coat in sauce. Drizzle with coconut milk or vanilla ice cream. Serve and enjoy!
Still not seeing stars (but feeling for dessert?) Check out this Easy as (Apple) Pie recipe or bake some delicious Gouda Scones!